The Brighton and Sussex Medico-Chirurgical Society is one of the oldest medical societies in the United Kingdom. Established in 1847 by the society’s first president Dr William King – founder of the Brighton Co-operative Society. Regular meetings were held for many years in the music room of the Brighton Royal Pavilion. In the 1970s, meetings were transferred to the Sussex Postgraduate Medical Centre on the Brighton General Hospital site. The 100th anniversary meeting, held in the Pavilion was attended by many distinguished guests including the Presidents of the three Royal Colleges. The Society has an extensive library containing many valuable historical medical books.